Monday, October 17, 2011

Etsy Search Ads Experiment, Day 4 and the Joy of School Pictures

Happy Monday! It's a gray one here, but that should help me focus on my fabric and sewing machine rather than being tempted back out into the glorious fall weather like yesterday...It's Monday, and it's back-to-work time!

I'm thinking the weather was fabulous everywhere yesterday, because when I look at my Search Ads stats the increase over Saturday is pathetic!
  • Money Spent                                                        $2.86
  • Impressions                                                          2,897
  • Views                                                                       11
  • Favorites                                                                    1
  • Orders                                                                       0
  • Revenue                                                                     0
It's rather disheartening to look at the graph that goes along with these Search Ads stats and see the line plummeting toward nothing. If that line were a heart monitor I'd be asking to have life support discontinued!

Even though it's only day four of seven, I've already reached the same conclusion as everybody else I've heard from about this ad campaign: it doesn't work. So the question I'm always asking myself comes to the forefront for me: What Next? This week's answer: Hit the Pavement! I'm fortunate to live in a cute, historic little town with lots of privately owned shops on our cozy little main street, and this week I intend to knock on some doors and see who would like to feature my gift bags. I will also be launching my line of customizable wine & spirit gift bags and taking them to local wineries to drum up interest.

So, what will you do to market your shop this week?

As always, I can't bear to end my post on such a serious note...About 10 minutes before the bus was due to arrive  we realized that today is school picture day for Brett. I ran to furiously fill out the form & write a check, and then it was time for my major challenge: his hair. My son is blessed with a full head of thick hair (well, for now--my dad was bald by the time he was 20) that features these two incorrigible cowlicks that collide right at the crown. I tried everything to plaster them down this morning! Water + gel + furious brushing and combing. Finally we had to declare it good enough so he didn't miss the bus. It was far from perfect, but I can't help but think that someday we'll look at that picture and have a good laugh!

And here's a little something that will maybe give you a good laugh--one of my school pictures. Let's just say it was the 70s...
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Shagadelic", doesn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Aw, don't you just love to look back on pictures of yourself and laugh? My husband likes to do that with mine LOL :) Picture day is the worst! No one looks like themselves because they're looking to take a good photo. Anyway, so sorry that search ads aren't working for you. :( I was really wondering about how they would work, but it doesn't seem to do much different than a regular search, except now you can see how many people are looking. Good luck with pounding the pavement. Do tell us if people take on your bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the search ads. I haven't read about them working for anyone. That's sad really. Isn't it fun looking at our school photos?! My kids used to crack up when they saw mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally go for it. Knock on all those doors! My search ad was a bust, as well. Good luck and thanks for sharing the picture!

    ReplyDelete