Sunday, October 9, 2011

In My Happy Place At Last

It's been a few days since I've had the opportunity to sit down and blog. Actually, it's been a few days since I've had a chance to sit down, when I think about it!

Thursday was preparation for leaving town (including some furious sewing to get new bags up on GiftAgain, and packing), picking mom uo at the airport in Philly, and then driving about 6 hours (thanks to the legendary New Jersey traffic).

Friday was a foray into Home Depot to continue the upgrades to the house my parents' still own in the Berkshires, and which we are fortunate enough to use as a retreat whenever time allows, followed by a quick stop at Panera for free wifi and sustenance (I was horrified to discover that the wifi at the house wasn't working when we arrived), and a four-hour visit to beautiful Williams College (which I seriously hope my daughter will choose to attend), more Panera wifi, a quick dinner at the house and then on to Chatham to meet up with one of my dearest old friends for a fun-filled girls' night out.

I have to pause here to say that for about 25 years after graduating from my small-town high school I worked pretty hard at being elsewhere as much as possible. Like many people, my high school years weren't my favorite and I spent my teens anxiously awaiting that time when I could disappear into a large university, and then city, where I could become miraculously anonymous and virtually disappear. So it seems pretty amusing to me that that same little town and the people in it have become precious and irresistible to me now. It was a really fun night and great to see faces that I hadn't seen in decades in some cases.

Anyway, on to Saturday and no rest for the weary! I started the day with a visit with beloved my Aunt and Uncle digging through some seriously old family photos and scanning them into my little PanDigital scanner to take home and turn into a book. Then it was off to get food and libations, and then prepare the house and patio for a cocktail party my mom and I were throwing that evening. And what a great party it was! More laughs with old friends I hadn't seen the night before that lasted 'til 1:00a.m.

Does this sounds as hectic and exhausting as I'm now discovering it was? How can so much fun be so tiring? It's not like I was working! But today I find that my voice is about gone and despite sleeping until 9:00 I am sorely tempted to curl up for a nap. I am so glad that I made a promise to myself before embarking on this weekend that no matter how tempting the offer I would make no plans on Sunday that took me away from the house. So here I am in what may be my favorite place in the entire world--the wicker rocking chair on the front porch. And when I look up from my book, this is what is see:
My happy place

Don't you wish you could join me?

1 comment: