Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What Was I Thinking?!

OUCH! That's what I'm thinking with every move today...As I faced the prospect of getting back into my jeans for this delightfully crisp fall weather, I also faced the reality that I either had to start being a little more respectful of my body or go buy all new pants in the next size up (again!). New pants are not in the budget, and as I begin the slide down the backside of my 40s it occurs to me I'd like to be fit and healthy when I face that next big birthday with a zero at the end.

And so begins the next chapter in the saga of Nancy's battle to get in shape/lose weight...I've tried many things with varying degree of success and failure and have enough experience at this to know that food and I just like eachother too much to try some crazy deprivation diet. Cutting back on a few things here and there (like the cookies and ice cream at 10:00 p.m.), if paired with a sensible excercise program and some patience, will gradually do the trick. I'm not exactly known for being the most sensible person on the planet and patience isn't one of those words that pops into the minds of those who love me when my name is mentioned, but I'm getting smarter with age and have decided to draw on the wisdom and experience of those around me (rather than commercials on tv).

The scene of the crime...Who can resist being a
"chair" potato with company like that?

Something seems to keep coming up as I lurk aroud my virtual communities of facebook and the blogosphere, and that something has a name that I found intriguing: Couch to 5K. It caught my interest when I saw it pop up on a few different blogs, but these could be fit and active people writing this stuff so I wasn't sure it would be for me. It wasn't until one of my facebook friends from high school 'fessed up to being in the midst of C25K that I really sat up and took notice. What I do know about this guy is that 1) he's got a bigger belly than me, and 2) he's probably been at least as sedentary as me lately. Now I'm not naming names here, but if you went to high school with me, came after me alphabetically, and have considerably less hair now then YES, I'm talking about you :). And one more thing I fogot to mention--this guy has always been a little on the competitive side...So I decided that if he can do it, I can too. (Thanks for the boost, old friend.)

But today...I'm so sore I can barely move! I did get back on the treadmill this morning though, and will tomorrow as well. No cookies or ice cream have passed these lips in at least 48 hours and I'm not dead yet, so things are looking favorable.

On another note: I only have a couple of entries in my GIVEAWAY so far...Stop by my new GiftAgainGiftBag shop and see how fast these little bags are flying off the virtual shelves! Sign up now, or you might miss out! Remember, all you have to do is become a follower of my blog (if you're not already) and leave a comment below.

And come back on Wednesday for Treasury Tuesday! (I think my blood sugar just dropped)

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this mentioned before too and now maybe I'll check it out and see what it's all about. Not that my toddler keeps me too sedentary (though the computer does!), but I figure fit now, fit later, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that exercise increases my appetite. Therefore, I haven’t been losing all that much weight. This is a very vicious cycle. I feel like a hamster on a wheel, only getting off to fill my fat cheeks.

    Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I’m sure there’s no way you’re talking about me, but there’s no way in hell I’m going to let you win this thing. If I were you I would step away from the treadmill and pick up a sandwich, because I plan on being in better shape than you by years end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I wish I started sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Mr. Yakman, You're on pal! Bring it!

    ReplyDelete